Thursday, June 25, 2009

Preparing for the bone marrow transplant

For those who don't know, Thomas will be getting a bone marrow transplant next week and I am his donor. Today he was admitted to the UW hospital where the last round of chemotherapy will begin. He is in room 7210 for those who would like to visit!

Starting tomorrow (till Tuesday), I will be receiving a shot of Neupogen each day to stimulate the growth of the stem cells in my bone marrow. After the second day or so, I'll probably start feeling the symptoms, which are achey bones, migraines, and fatigue. On the fifth day, a machine will collect my stem cells by drawing blood from one arm and running it through a centrifuge that will filter out the stem cells. My blood will be returned through my other arm. This will take approximately three hours.

The transplant is scheduled for Wednesday, July 1.

This last round of chemo will be the strongest - all his white blood cells will be wiped out. The bone marrow transplant is to insure that no more cancerous cells will grow so that he can have a fresh start with healthy blood cells.

Please keep my brother in your thoughts and prayers as he goes through this final stage of treatment. He is blessed to have such a tremendous amount of support out there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment